HIPAA Privacy and Security Awareness Kit
|ABC-K09-065 - HIPAA Privacy and Security Awareness Kit
Products are regularly updated and may differ from items pictured
All facilities that provide patient care or provide referrals for patient care are subject to the privacy and security rules of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). HIPAA changes the way health care staff must protect the privacy of a patient's health information and contains security procedures that must be followed to protect the integrity of a patient's health information. The following areas will provide you with information on the specifics of HIPAA and how your facility can comply with the requirements of this law.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act mandates that people have opportunities for continued access to health insurance. This applies to people who change jobs or become too old for insurance as a dependent. Rules and regulations under HIPAA also provide rights regarding privacy and confidentiality of medical information and records.
This training program explains what the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is and what steps and measures can be used to protect the client's sensitive information.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act was enacted by Congress in 1996. HIPAA serves three main purposes:
- To protect people from losing their health insurance if they change jobs or have pre-existing health conditions.
- To reduce the costs and administrative burdens of health-care by creating standard electronic formats for many administrative transactions that were previously carried out on paper.
- To develop standards and requirements to protect the privacy and security of personal health information.
This program will provide information on the basic HIPAA rules regarding the use, transmission, security and privacy of health-care data.
The video is 13 minutes and addresses the major areas needed to comply with the standard, including:
- Private Health Information
- Patient Access
- Other Uses of PHI
- Administrative Safeguards
- Safeguards for Security
- Compliance and Enforcement
Training Kit includes a PowerPoint Presentation (#PP09-065) & Compliance Guides (M09-065), as well as a Leader's Guide:
- Video Program Outline
- Quiz (English & Spanish)
- Answer Key
- Training Log / Sign-in Form
- List of Site Specific Information
- Wallet Card / ID Card